Adding Ruffle flash player to Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari

Rowdy

First  thing you need to do is go to:

https://ruffle.rs/#releases

The files are built nightly so dont be concerned with the date of the files.  The top file under Browser Extension is the one to download.  I removed the extra columns from the picture below to make the image smaller.  The filename will be in this format ruffle_nightly_2021_01_26_extension.zip  The file name will change daily so dont be concerned with that.

ruffle-nightly.png

Once you have the file downloaded unpack / unzip / extract to a folder which will match the file name of the compressed file.  So using the filename above your folder will be ruffle_nightly_2021_01_26_extension

The contents will be like this.

ruffle_file_folder.png

Make a folder on your C Drive and name it Ruffle copy all the files from the folder pictured above to the new Ruffle folder you just created.

Installing the browser extension

If you visit websites that have Flash content but aren't using Ruffle, or you want to ensure you're using the latest and greatest version of Ruffle on every website, then our browser extension is the perfect thing for you!

Until our first release, we currently only ship unsigned browser extensions. To use these, first download the appropriate one for your browser from our releases, and then install it manually.

Chrome

• Click the "Chrome / Edge / Safari" link.
  • Extract the downloaded zip file somewhere.
  • Navigate to chrome://extensions/  <-- TYPE THIS INTO THE BROWSER URL LINE like you are going to a website
  • Turn on Developer mode in the top right corner.
  • Click Load unpacked.
  • Select the folder you extracted the extension to.

Firefox

• Right-click the Firefox .xpi download link.
  • Click "Save Link As..."
  • Navigate to about:debugging.  <-- TYPE THIS INTO THE BROWSER URL LINE like you are going to a website
  • Click on This Firefox.
  • Click Load Temporary Add-on...
  • Select the .xpi that you downloaded.
  • Confused 1

Setting up Microsoft Edge to work with ruffle is super easy.

• Follow all procedures on downloading etc in top message then go to MICROSOFT EDGE
  • Click the three small dots top right of edge and click on Extensions

Bottom left click on developer mode

edge1.png

Top right click Load Unpacked and browse to your Ruffle Folder

edge2.png

Turn off developer mode, Edge may warn you that development files are loaded and ask if you want to turn them off, Select no

• 1 year later...

Well I have Adobe flash installed so I can play 99.9%  There are also 2 themes here one with Ruffle supported and the other with Flash enabled.  Give me the game name but i suspect that is the difference.  Also AS3 or action script 3 games generally will not play with Ruffle.

• 3 months later...